|Keys to Successful Learning - what are prompts - tips for learning. Bright Tots - Information on child development - Autism information.
|Keys to Successful Learning|
|Keys to Successful Learning Experiences
By: Tracey Spiro
Special Education /Aba Teacher
KEY #1 : PROMPTS
Without the use of prompts and meaningful reinforcement, your child may never respond to your instructions and you may never have the opportunity to reinforce their attempts and increase learning.
Prompts : Assistance that you provide to ensure that your child responds correctly. They also help strengthen the relationship between what you ask and the correct response.
• Verbal Prompts: modeling what you want your child to say.
• Gestural Prompts: Pointing to what you want your child to attend to.
• Physical Prompts: guiding your child’s body through the motions of the response.
• Positional Prompts: placing or arranging the objects in such a way that clearly indicates what the correct response would be.
• Modeling Prompts: demonstrating what the correct response is.
• Visual Prompts: using pictures or schedules to cue a specific response.
Prompts are extremely effective in the learning process but remember:
Prompt right away to reduce frustration and ensure your child responds correctly!
As your child’s skill level improves, use less and less prompting until they are able to do it all by themselves!
Prompts are GREAT but they are only ½ of the story
KEY # 2: REINFORCEMENT
Reinforcement is something that is given to the child AFTER they have responded correctly and INCREASES the likelihood that they will do the same thing again and again!!
That SOMETHING can be ANYTHING that is MEANINGFUL to your child (Tickling, bites of favorite foods, access to favorite toys or videos, even a break from the demands that occur during instruction).
Things to remember about REINFORCEMENT
• Reinforcement provides a means of MOTIVATION
• When reinforcers are provided, you are reinforcing your child’s responses!
• In the beginning, provide LOTS and LOTS of reinforcement
• Save the BIGGEST for the BEST!!
KEY # 3: STRIKE A BALANCE!
• Your Tempo or “Pacing” can be the difference between Success and Frustration!
• Keep the pace flowing in order to sustain attention, keep things interesting, and of course, INCREASE MOTIVATION!
Know What to Shop For
|Bright Tots ~ Information on childhood developmental disorders, including autism, attention deficit disorder (ADHD), behavior disorders, bipolar disorder, cerebral palsy, childhood disintegrative disorder, depression in children, diabetes in children, down syndrome, emotional disorders, obsessive compulsive disorder , selective mutism, separation anxiety disorder, speech and language disoreders and spina bifida..
Resources, articles and information on autism including Asperger's syndrome, assessing autism, autism and tantrums, autism in childhood, autism therapies, characteristics of autism, discipline strategies, early signs of autism, echolilia, fragile x, hyperlexia / dyslexia, immunization worries, oral care and autism, pervasive developmental disorders (PDD), Rett syndrome, savant syndrome, and more.
Understanding developmental disorders. Find Early Intervention in your area.
Information and articles on autism therapy and autism treatment including: ABA therapy, autism diets, chelation therapy, cognitive behavior therapy, key to learning, medications for treating autism, play therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, sensory integration, signed speech, speech therapy, TEACCH Method and more
What is a learning disability? What are developmental domains? Tips on teaching a child with autism, age appropriate behavior (milestones), parenting rules, oral care and autism, baby tooth decay, is your child over weight? For those hard to understand terms, visit our Glossary
Bright Tots - Helpful information for picking the right toy for Babies, Toddlers and Preschool kids
What to look for in developmental baby, toddler and preschool toys. Read on the importance of choosing the right educational baby toys, educational toddler toys, educational preschool toys that will
"Make Learning Fun"
Choosing the right Baby Toys | Toddler Toys | Preschool Toys | Special Needs
|Click above for a larger view